Wednesday, February 3, 2010

REPO! The Genetic Opera: An American Original

Way back in the beginning of '09, my friends and I got wind of a little movie called "Repo! The Genetic Opera"; it takes place in the future, where a corporation called "GeneCo" has figured out how to manufacture synthetic organs and sells them to people on credit. However, if you can't make your payments... the Repoman comes and takes back whatever organ you've been given. Sounds like a bomb ass movie, right? But it gets better.

My friends and I had no idea what we were getting into when we drove out to a little theater in Worcester, MA that night. It was, in short, a complete and utter shitshow - in an amazing way. This "little" movie (with a mere $8MIL budget) became a completely enormous underground and cult success! I'm not kidding when I say that my friends and I were basically the only people in the entire audience not dressed up and who didn't know the word to every single song in the film. Since then, I have been schooled; I own the DVD and the soundtrack, and I am anxiously awaiting MY chance to dress up at the movies (yes, the movie is still touring and in theaters... 2 years after its release) and sing the songs at the top of my lungs.

However, while anxious cult fans such as myself wait, it seems big budget Hollywood has been busy developing Repomen, a bold and blatant rip off and complete copyright infringement of our beloved Repo! The Genetic Opera. When my fiancé called me just now and told me the plot of that movie, I thought he was joking. Sadly, he was not. So, I search the interwebs and found this article, which features a side by side comparison of the trailers and a blog written by Repo!'s director, Darren Bousman of the Saw series. He, too, is pissed off about what has gone down, as it is ABUNDANTLY clear that the Repo! intellectual property has been stolen from them right under their noses. What I want to know is, why aren't they fighting this??? If anything, they could at least get a settlement that could be used to tour the movie again and open up more people's eyes to the amazing cult experience that only Repo! can provide. So to Darren, I say this: I understand you want people to continue to celebrate Repo! but, from a legal perspective, you SHOULD fight this!! Repo! is an amazing project, and an incredible subculture I am proud to be a part of. You should fight for its rights! Ok - that's all I'm going to say about that, out of respect for Darren's request.

On a separate note, I would like to encourage anyone that knows about Repo! to tweet, blog, post, yell - WHATEVER - about Repo! and how amazing it is. The more noise we make, the more people will continue to love it and the more we can have the amazing experiences of seeing it in theaters, singing and dancing in the aisles. TESTIFY.

www.newleaflegal.com

No comments: