Friday, December 11, 2009

Buy Your Tix Now! Vid Game Exhibit in Smithsonian in... Wait... 2012?

In what can politely be called an "early announcement," the Smithsonian American Art Museum recently published an announcement that it will host a 6-month exhibit on the evolution of video games, beginning in March 2012.

First of all, this is sure to be a completely bad-ass exhibit. I honestly wish I had kids just so I could take them and show them just how far video games have come since "War Games." (Do you remember that? Ah, nerd memories...) Alas, it will likely be just me and my fiancé nerding out with all the other adults that proudly wear their gamertags on their sleeves. But no matter.

The exhibit is sure to have its high and low points. For example, not only will the exhibit take a comprehensive look at every console system (big positive there and yes, I'm bias to consoles), but there will even be a demonstration room where visitors can play games.

Wait, a demo room? Cool in concept? Yes. Execution? Hmm... I'm afraid that the Smithsonian Directors may underestimate the power of a gamer, especially under the influence of an energy drink or one too many cups of coffee. And I know I would fuel up before taking on that exhibit. In mean, the line to play Wii at Best Buy is annoying enough... can you imagine the hoarding when there's thousands of game enthusiasts in one place, scrambling to get their moments of reminiscence with an Atari system? I shudder to think. You know people that live in the DC area will visit that exhibit multiple times just to hang out in the that room. And the adults are sure to be worse than the kids (aren't they always?)

Either way, I know I'll be heading down to DC sometime during 2012. In other news, I've recently discovered The Guild. How the hell did I miss this??

No comments: