Thursday, December 3, 2009

Report Says Vid Game Industry Best for Empowering Parents

Apparently I've got a theme going this week. I'll admit, sometimes I tend to get on my high-horse about video game content because I know the educational tools are there for parents to understand what they're kids are playing, and that the Video Game Industry gets a bad rap for no reasona. And I'm not the only one that thinks that, so HA!

Unlike movie rating systems, the ESRB ratings systems is optional. But how many games do you see without ratings? Um, a whole lot of NONE. Even "E" (for Everyone) gets plastered on the most family-friendly games. The article I cited earlier states in part:

"The computer and video game industry leads all others in ensuring its products are marketed appropriately and is the gold standard for others to follow," said Michael D. Gallagher, president and CEO of the ESA, the U.S. association representing computer and video game software publishers. "Today's FTC report is a strong acknowledgement and validation that industry-led self-regulation efforts are the best way to provide parents and retailers with the resources and support they need to keep our kids' entertainment experiences suitable."

There are some other fabulous nuggets and hard facts about how well the gaming industry and its retailers self-regulate. You know that, I'm not going to elaborate.. I've only got two words. BOO. YAH.

No comments: